Diamond Dawgs Host UT Martin For Midweek Contest
STARKVILLE, Miss. – Looking to ride the momentum of its fourth-straight series victory, No. 10 Mississippi State baseball (20-8-1) hosts the UT Martin Skyhawks (7-21) at Dudy Noble Field, with first pitch slated for 6:30 p.m. Freshman southpaw Konnor Pilkington (1-0, 1.17 ERA) will start for MSU against UTM starting left-hander Adam Rimmer (0-0, 7.16 ERA).
The Bulldogs remain at home after taking the series victory against Ole Miss this past weekend, knocking off the Rebels on Friday and Saturday before dropping the series finale Sunday (3-1, 6-2, 5-8).
State has captured its first three SEC series of the season, a feat the Bulldogs have not accomplished since winning three straight March 14-30, 2014. The fourth-straight thre-game series victory is the first since MSU won five straight from Feb. 28-March 30, 2003 (vs. ETSU, vs. Lipscomb, vs. Vanderbilt, at Arkansas, at Ole Miss).
The Skyhawks are looking to snap an 11-game losing streak on Tuesday. UTM comes to Starkville after being swept at Belmont this past weekend (3-7, 7-23, 8-10).
MSU is a perfect 8-0 all-time against UTM, with the last meeting happening in 2006 at Dudy Noble Field. The Maroon and White won 8-6 behind 2-for-4 nights from third baseman Edward Easley, centerfielder Joseph Hunter and leftfielder Jeff Butts.
Need To Know
- In the latest rankings released Monday, MSU was voted 10th in the Coaches Poll, 5th by Baseball America, 8th by Collegiate Baseball, 8th by Perfect Game, 8th by the NCBWA and 5th by D1 Baseball.
- As of April 4, Mississippi State’s offense ranks tied for seventh in the country in doubles (69, 1st in SEC), tied for ninth in hits (318, 3rd in SEC), 16th in on-base percentage (.412, 2nd in SEC), 19th in batting average (.315, 3rd in SEC) and tied for 22nd in walks (141, 3rd in SEC).
- The Bulldog’s pitching staff is fifth in the NCAA in strikeouts per nine innings (9.80, 3rd in SEC)
- Reid Humphreys is 18th in the NCAA with 12 doubles (2nd in SEC), while junior designated hitter Jack Kruger is 36th in the NCAA with 11 doubles (4th in SEC)
- Junior RHP Dakota Hudson is 19th in the NCAA with 56 strikeouts (4th in SEC). The preseason All-American as also the only player to rank in the top five in the SEC in earned run average (0.92, 1st), innings pitched (48.2, 5th), opposing batting average (.187, 4th) and strikeouts.
- After hitting .243 with two outs in 2015, the Bulldogs are terrorizing opposing pitching with a .324 batting average (1st in SEC) with two down this season.
Tuesday’s Forecast (April 5) – High 71, Low 47 – Sunny (0%)
Live Video and Television
Live Audio and Radio
Tuesday’s game will be available locally on WKBB 100.9 FM. The contest will also be audio streamed live online at HailState.com/Plus (requires subscription).
Tickets are still available and can be purchased at HailState.com/tickets or at the MSU ticket office behind home plate, which opens two hours before first pitch every game.